Surveying, Mapping and GIS

Exploring all aspects of mapping and geography, from field data collection, to mapping and analysis, to integration, applications development and enterprise architecture...

  • Geospatial Technology, End to End...

    Exploring all aspects of mapping and geography, from field data collection, to mapping and analysis, to integration, applications development, enterprise architecture and policy

Why I Haven't Moved To The Beltway...

Posted by Dave Smith On 5/06/2008 11:00:00 PM 2 comments

Given most of my work is in the DC Beltway, and I have a 4 hour + "commute" one way - some of my friends and colleagues keep asking why I don't move south.

Simple answer... quality of life. I wouldn't be able to afford the great house that I have, I wouldn't have the great natural setting nearby...

I walk just a few houses down to the end of my block, and from there, I'm in a park - I can take a lengthy hike in any number of directions, a different hike for every day of the week... and the scenery?



More "photos of the day" to come...

2 Response for the " Why I Haven't Moved To The Beltway... "

  1. ez E says:

    Dave, I also live in semi-rural PA and can relate to your comment but doesn't the time spent on your commute factor into that equation at all? My guess is that you only occasionally do that commute. If not how do you do that commute on top of a full work day and have any live outside that? To me any job with that large a time footprint on my life, no matter how cool, is a serious impact on my quality of life.

  2. I travel to DC several times a month - usually try to stack meetings back to back, go down in the morning, stay over, and return the following evening...

    Sometimes two of us will travel to DC together, and thanks to cell phones, cellular data connections, and an iGo adapter for the laptop that plugs directly into the cigarette lighter outlet for DC-DC laptop power, the 4 hours on the road can actually be quite productive.

    On those days when I'm driving solo, I sometimes find the drive therapeutic, for going over things in my mind... I usually take US 15, beautiful farm country through Gettysburg to Frederick - and sometimes the route through Point of Rocks (to/from Reston, Herndon et cetera) is a nice drive as well... I use my smartphone as a voice recorder to capture ideas...

Search